The truth is that I don't know Harry. Or at least not well, but I do feel the need to write about him.
Yesterday did not start off particularly well. Thankfully it was not pouring down with rain and trains were running on schedule so it wasn't what I consider to be a horrible start to the day. In fact the sun was shining and I was feeling quite happy as strolled to the office.
But nevertheless as I smiled and walked towards our building, I rather unelegantly tripped on the walkway leading to the main entrance tearing the T-strap of my sandal as I stumbled. I felt rather stupid for tripping but felt even more goofy when I realised that my sandal was now hanging off my foot. With no other choice but to limp into the building with my shoe flapping against the marble floor, even the doorman in all his politeness could not contain his laughter.
Sometimes I can be so clumsy!
And there really is no way to gracefully walk across a huge lobby with the sound of my flapping sandal echoing throughout. By the time I reached the elevators and eventually got to my desk, I felt like the biggest goofball on the planet.
Not a good start to the day.
Fortunately, I have amassed quite a shoe collection under my desk. I refuse to stand on London's Underground in heels so the pretty stilettos stay in the office and the comfortable flats endure the commute. With shoes changed and broken sandal in hand, I set off for the shoe repair shop hoping they might be able to repair my favorite summer shoes.
But my sandals are pretty old and fearing I might get the look that says 'it will cost you less to replace these', I was pleasantly surprised when the woman behind the counter nodded conservatively and said she thought it could be fixed and to stop back later.
Things were looking up.
So with a glimmer of hope that I might have my sandals back before the evening rush home, I headed for Starbuck's to get breakfast. With a big smile on my face, I ordered my usual latte and a lemon poppyseed muffin to take back to my desk.
'Those are the best.'
I could have sworn it was my subconscious talking to me but I turned and realised it was the gentleman next to me, a tall guy with broad shoulders looking a bit scruffy with his motorcycle helmut in hand. I had to look around for a moment to make sure he was talking to me and then once sure I really wasn't hearing things I admitted that they are my favourite.
And the 'Skinny' descriptive doesn't hurt either.
He laughed. And not just in my head. He was smiling at me and found me funny. Or at least was doing a really good job of acting that way. So the conversation continued about working in the building, eating breakfast at my desk, getting crumbs in my keyboard and sticky fingers too. It was sweet. And I don't mean the coffee or the muffin.
He then asked if I had time to sit outside with him and I think my smile must have expanded from ear to ear. A day that had started out rather badly just kept getting better and better. It seems a bit silly now that I write this but just a simple reminder that maybe I am not such a clumsy oaf and actually can catch someone's attention is still a thrill beyond words. It really made me smile.
But as lovely as it was to chat with him I knew I had a conference call to attend. So I thanked him and said I had to get back to work and he returned the thank-you and wished me a good day.
And because of him it was a very good day.
So thank you, Harry*.
*I noticed his name written on his coffee cup so maybe I should thank Starbuck's too for their personalised coffee campaign.
Cate xxx
Thursday, 9 August 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment