Sunday, 17 August 2008

Why do I cheat?


Recently, I was asked why I am having an affair.


For a moment, I hesitated. I wondered if I should go the easy route and give the simple answer or should I put some more effort into it and really try to explain how things went wrong, that our relationship has gradually been eroding over the years in many different ways. I chose the simpler option and said that I was frustrated by my husband’s lack of interest in sex. And there is a lot of truth to that, but I think I could have endured a sexless marriage if I had stronger relationship with my husband.

But I don’t. And as much as I want to put into words what frustrates me about our marriage, I am really struggling to do so. I can’t think of one anecdote that sums up my feelings on it. I can’t point to a particular moment in our relationship and say, “There! That’s where it all went wrong!” It’s so much more complicated than that.

I suppose the easiest way to describe our relationship is that we are a marriage of opposites. My husband is a reliable, hard-working individual who craves structure and routine, while I tend to be a bit more free-spirited, making up the rules as I go along. In some ways we compliment each other. He provides the stability and discipline that I often lack. It’s not that I can’t handle responsibility. I am actually pretty good about making lunches, doing laundry and all the other things that are necessary to running a home. But when I get caught off guard, I tend to lose direction and get a bit confused. This is where my husband excels because he always manages to get me back on track. So when I am feeling the urge to tell my boss to shove it, my husband can usually get me to refocus on the importance of having a job.

My husband’s sensible approach to life has its advantages when I need advice on my career or help with the kids, but it doesn’t work so well in our relationship. My husband does not express his emotions easily. In fact, I would even say that he is uncomfortable with them and would rather keep them hidden from me and the rest of the world. I am the opposite. I have so much to express all the time but somehow I have learned to stifle it because I have seen too many looks of irritation from him that seem to say “Oh great, here we go again”.

But it’s not just a frustration with my own confinement. It’s the fact that my husband has such an aversion to anything frivolous. He just won’t do it. And unfortunately, romantic gestures fall within this definition. He doesn’t see the point of buying me flowers because they wilt and die. He has never called in sick to hide under the duvet and shag – there is work to be done and those sick days may be needed! I could go on and on with a list of things that he considers impractical that to me are an invaluable expression of the love that I crave.

And I guess that is what really frustrates me most. When I want my husband to express love and affection for me, he just won’t do it and over time I have interpreted that to mean that he doesn’t love me at all. The cancelled dates, the birthdays forgotten – all these things have been stockpiled in my memory as reminders of how he can’t possibly feel anything but contempt for me.

But I have realised lately that he does care about me. He wants so much to provide the security and stability that he sees as fundamental to our happiness and he doesn’t want anything to distract him from that goal. So when he cancels a dinner reservation because he needs to plan for a meeting, I have learned to accept that it isn’t intended to upset me, it is just simply who he is. And I am even learning to appreciate it.

I find it rather ironic in a way. After years of disappointment and frustration with my marriage, I am finally able to see it for what it is and understand why I have so often felt alienated by it. I am no longer angry about the things my husband won’t do for me. Instead, I focus on his good points – the things he does well that keep me focused and often inspire me to do better.

But I know that this wouldn’t be possible had I never taken that risk and had an affair. All the bottled up emotions and frustrations finally have a release and I don’t feel like I am being stifled anymore. It’s the most wonderful feeling, but it is also a dangerous one. Because what is keeping me happy in my marriage is the very thing that could destroy it.

Cate xxx

25 comments:

Hu said...

Oh so much of that sounds familiar *sigh* I find I that I feel very guilty and confused about my dissatisfaction with my marriage. D is also a good husband in many ways and he's a brilliant father but like you, I feel so isolated in my marriage and am seeking something outside of it to fulfil those needs he can't/won't meet.

L. said...

I could have written this, Cate. In fact, I have - just not posted yet.

When you say, "So when he cancels a dinner reservation because he needs to plan for a meeting, I have learned to accept that it isn’t intended to upset me, it is just simply who he is.", I could say the same thing except about business travel. And your last three lines were particularly chilling...

Hosea Tanatu said...

Gosh, Cate, are you sure you're not married to me? OK, it's a joke ... I can tell you are actually somebody else. But this post sounds just a little bit too much like one of the dynamics between Wife and me. Not the only one, or life would be a lot simpler. But one of them, for sure ....

I'll add that Wife's affairs haven't ended our marriage yet; so here's hoping the best for you ....

Kyra said...

That is food for thought. Appreciating one's spouse more by having an affair. It sure would be nice to feel that.

Is the part about it tearing it all apart because of how he would react if he finds out?

Cate said...

Hu, l. and Kyra, there is comfort in knowing I am not alone!

I think the thing I am finding most difficult about all this is that I actually like my husband more at the moment than I have in the last three years. It gives me hope that we can continue to provide a secure and loving environment for my children but I feel it is all very fragile and could fall apart very easily. I used to worry about how I got here, now I think about where it is going. I fear my husband finding out or having to end my affair for some other reason and the thought of being without my personal escape doesn't sit well.

But Hosea, you have given me hope that relationships can survive the damage of an affair. And hopefully we can all learn something from each other.

All the best,

Cate xxx

Playm8 said...

Cate - That was beautifully written and in many ways sounds almost verbatim what my lover Liz has said about her own marriage and relationship with hubby. And in many ways I too can recognized my own feelings in there, in relation to my wife.

- said...

Like others have already said, I *absolutely* 100% can relate to exactly what you mean and why I find myself in that which I do.

I adore my husband; I'm his #1 fan. But I know it also makes me a better wife to him to be in the situations I have and know.....

rphil815 said...

I have often struggled to understand why our marriage improved so much once my wife began her affair. By seeking what she wanted in the bed of another man she was finally able to accept our marriage and our relationship for what it is and not the mythical ideal that was stuck in her head.

For us it was the best thing possible. Thanks for sharing, it's nice to know we are not alone.

Hosea Tanatu said...

You know, Cate, if your husband does find out and insist that you quit, you should feel free to forward him to my blog or even give him my e-mail address. I can't promise results, but I could at least explain Wife's history, and how I have gotten to where I am now. There's no telling, but if you thought it would help that would be fine with me.

Wil said...

Another interesting discovery.

Lakey said...

I hate commenting with "me too" but I must. When I first began cheating it definitely improved my marriage. Our sex life (which has always been good) became even better and having an outlet for being listened to by my lovers made me much less upset that my husband stopped listening years ago.

BUT... now that my affair has become so serious I know that it's seriously hurting my marriage. Sometimes I'm shocked that he's not figured out what I'm doing because I am not really emotionally present anymore.

This was a wonderful post that's really got me thinking.

Cate said...

Playm8, thank you for the compliment. I actually wrote and re-wrote this post about three times before I was happy with it. It was much trickier than I expected! And I am glad it resonated with you.

Smile 2 much, I am definitely appreciating the support on this one. I do feel like a bit of hypocrit for saying that I like my husband but I cheat. So I do appreciate knowing that I am not alone.

rphil815, I am glad that I could shed some light on the strange workings of the female mind! And I am glad it has worked out for you.

Hosea, thank you very much for the offer - it is truly appreciated. However, I don't really want my husband knowing what I have done. I think I have found a balance where I am able to appreciate him and enjoy our relationship for the good points that it has. I really hope that continues.

Wil, I try.

Cate xxx

Cate said...

Lakey, I cringed when I read your comment because that is one of the things I fear - that I will withdraw from my marriage more as the affair goes on. I hate to think that it will happen but in some ways it seems inevitable when the person who makes you feel your best is not your husband.

I have got my fingers crossed for both of us.

Cate xxx

Myself said...

I have so much to say I don't think I can put it in one comment.

All I am going to say is: I wish I could give you a hug.

Cate said...

Krazy, you are lovely! Thank you for the hug - it's much appreciated.

Cate xxx

JW said...

I could agree with so many of the sentiments expressed but I won't.

What I will say is that in ten years of "happy" marriage, my then-wife and I never once got to celebrate an anniversary properly. She always had something else to do, frequently work. In some cases I'd made elaborate plans that I had to cancel at the last minute.

Her rationale was that we were happy, we weren't going to separate so there'd always be next year. Unfortunately, each time that our anniversary celebrations got cancelled it was like chipping a little more off my soul.

Anniversaries (even the silly ones) and birthdays are important because they're tangible evidence that you care. And, as my own case proved, if you don't care enough to make the relationship count now, there may be no more years in which to celebrate.

Bad Girl said...

Another "me too" here! It is amazing that I read these other blogs and it is like my own story is being told, just with slightly different details and a different voice. But the emotions (or lack thereof) are the same....

Cate said...

Ro, I agree so much with what you said. Those missed moments continuously whittle away at a relationship and that is exactly where I am now. I still respect my husband and admire him for his perseverence and focus but it is hard to feel any passion for him when I know that it is not likely to be returned.

I hope you get a chance to celebrate special occasions with your Beloved - I suspect that she wouldn't miss an opportunity like that!

Bad Girl, I know what you mean. So many times I have read a post and thought "That's me!" One benefit of writing this post has been learning that I am not alone in my frustrations. There is definitely comfort in that.

Cate xxx

Anonymous said...

This isn't my story, but I couldn't tell the difference between yours and mine on a dark night. And I wouldn't have the courage to formulate like you do.

o xxx

Cate said...

Orchidea, thank you. I am truly surprised how much this post has resonated with so many people. I almost didn't publish it because it didn't come easily but I am now very pleased that I did.

Cate xxx

Anonymous said...

Cate - I think both your post and the subsequent comments add ammunition to the old adage about not letting the 'romance' die in a long-term relationship. It might be difficult to find the time, energy etc., but if you don't bother, eventually you'll regret it.

Helga Hansen said...

I have to agree with Semele... I can attest to the fact that the gradual drip-drip-drip of non-participation from my husband, especially in mundane things, were the beginning of the end for me.

No one likes mundane, routine and boring, but I was buggered if I was going to be saddled with doing it all by myself, all of the time!

So, you can imagine that non-participation in things important was even more frustrating!

Cate said...

Semele and Helga, I agree completely. It's so easy to let things slide, to assume there will be a next year. But as Ro said, sometimes the next years are no longer an option. I just wish I could convince my husband of this. But then again, I don't think I could endure the stress that he deals with as part of his job and I don't want to add to that.

Cate xxx

Anonymous said...

Wow. This sounds like the future of me and my boyfriend's future. He is everything that you described and how I currently feel right now is everything that you mentioned.

Cate said...

Anonymous, I don't like to tell anyone what to do in a relationship; I can only tell you of my own.

These characteristics were present in my husband before we got married and I thought that I could either change him or that these things weren't important to me. I was wrong. I think it is a safer to assume that things won't change and if something is really important to you, make sure it is part of your relationship now.

Good luck!

Cate xxx