Friday, 13 February 2009

Upside Down


'Tell you something that I've found that the world's a better place when it's upside down'
-Gabriella Cilmi

I couldn't agree more with Gabriella at the moment. Over the last week my world has been turned upside down and given a good shaking. Had anyone warned me it would happen, I would probably have expected myself to be afraid and even a bit tearful.

But I haven't been. I actually feel really good. In fact, I would even go so far as to say that I am excited and happy. I have lost my job in the middle of an economic crisis and I am smiling.

I think I may have lost my mind!

But I really haven't. Looking back over the last year, I realise now how much my dead-end job was destroying my confidence. Being repeatedly beaten down by a man who had no respect for me or the work that I had done over the years was taking its toll on me, but I didn't want to accept defeat and leave. After years of hard work, I kept telling myself it would work out somehow so I stayed on and endured the frustrations and anger that came with it, unaware of just how destructive the whole situation had become.

This week everything changed. I got called into a meeting and told that my position has been eliminated. As I calmly listened to the explanation of why and what would happen next, I felt a wave of relief wash over me. The nightmare was finally over.

It is still a bit weird now that I think about it. I started my job fresh out of university and have changed so much since then - husband, children, move to another country - and my job has been the constant through all of it. But it is time to move on. I have known it for months and now I am looking forward to the challenge of doing something new.

As I thought about this post last night, I hesitated as to whether I should write it. After all, this is really a blog about an affair and things that I have discovered about myself along the way. But this week I have realised that my ventures into the world of infidelity were prompted by the frustrations of my job. When things started to fall apart this time last year, I was so angry and so hurt. I looked to my husband for support and he reminded me that I was taking things too seriously. I just needed to lighten up and collect the paycheck every month.

He was right, but unfortunately I don't work that way. The whole situation just continued to get more and more frustrating and I looked to an affair to provide an escape from it all. And it did. But it's a hefty responsibility to expect someone who can only be part of your life in a limited way to rebuild the damage done day in and day out. It's no wonder that I seemed so destined to self-destruct. My whole sense of self had been completely destroyed.

But I have also learned this year that those low moments are what force you to change and rethink who you are. Had my boss not been so difficult, I might not have written to T and I certainly wouldn't be writing this blog. I would have stayed forever in that mediocre job that was convenient, even if it wasn't challenging. So as a result of all this, I am actually quite thankful that my boss has been such an ass. Because of him I have got career aspirations again, I have got a friend and lover who is absolutely priceless to me, and along the way I have learned that I can write and connect with so many people in so many different ways. All these things give me something to smile about - even if my world is upside down at the moment.

Cate xxx

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hooray! I have worked in the tech. industry for 15 years and I have been laid off a few times. Each time I go a little farther with the self discovery. It's brilliant that you can look at this situation and see the positives! I'm wishing you happy thoughts and hopes that you will find the right path to your next adventure!

Anonymous said...

It sounds like this is the best thing that could happen to you, just in reading your account of it all...being subjected to that kind of situation before, it was more freeing than frightening for me. I went off into consulting, eventually got picked up by a great client, and there you go....I found my bliss.

Cheers to you, and I hope you find your bliss too!

:-)

CW

ez cheese said...

"After all, this is really a blog about an affair and things that I have discovered about myself along the way."

May I make a small correction?

This is a blog about Cate. All things are tied together under that header. Personally, I quite enjoyed this.

Anonymous said...

You are definitely making lemonade out of life's lemons!

Anonymous said...

Good for you keeping your chin up! Sometimes, ok many times we learn the most through life's adversities. So breathe and keep your eyes open. Good luck!

Krazy said...

I like your attitude! I am a bit like that too, even though I am pragmatic and negative sometimes. I try to find the positive in everything that seems negative,... and there's ALWAYS something. Everything that happens in our lives makes us grow and discover things we didn't know about ourselves, and I can tell you're discovering the "New Cate". Cheers!

I bet you will find something you love doing and a boss you admire.

*Sending very positive vibes your way*

XXOO
Krazy

Mike said...

Great out look, i totally understand how it could be possible to smile after a job loss, Secretly i have been hoping each morning to come to work and find a pad lock on the gate. there are so manmy things that i want to do, take chances on, but having one year old twins and a morgage, i would never dream of leaving my job, no matter how bad it sucks, If they closed or fired me, i feel the possiblities are endless.
Best of luck to you

justme said...

Cate, I am really happy for you! I am guessing that this will give you a chance to re evaluate everything in your life. And you are NOT a person who should be in a job you don't feel valued in.
Its exciting.
I am happy for you! x

Riff Dog said...

I love your attitude.

I once had what I thought was bad news. Not a job, but a similar sort of thing as what you have going on. A friend of mine (much wiser and more experienced than I) told me, "They just did you a favor." (Those were his exact words. I remember this like it was yesterday.)

He was right. I can't go into detail, but great things happened because I had to reevaluate what I was doing, which I was way overdue for. It was the kick in the pants I needed and a major turning point in my life.

I hope you later look back on this the same way, and say, "Thank God they let me go!" It's definitely possible.

B said...

Cate, I totally relate to this post. My straying ideas were definitely started by restlessness at work, we never seem to realise how bad it is until we leave, and then it is like a weight lifted, huh? I love that quote. Fab.

Cheese is right. This is a blog about Cate. Write about whatever you fancy. Yes, I think even reading your accounts of reading the back of a cereal packet would keep me coming back for more.

I wish you the bestest of best luck for the future. xxx

Anonymous said...

Turning the world upside down reminds me of the scene from "Pirates of the Caribbean III" where the pirates discover, at one point, that the world they were living in was, in fact, the upside down world. When they flipped the boat, they found that they had been returned to the "right side" of life. It all depends on your perspective - maybe your world has been upside down for a long time and is, just now, getting turned right side up.

Your writing is so insightful and thoughtful. It has been a pleasure to read your blog.

Helen said...

It almost feels a little rude to say congratulations to someone who's recently been laid off...but that seems to be the most appropriate thing.

I'm not sure there's any such thing as "leaving it at work." If you have to spend eight hours or more a day in a harsh environment it's going to affect the rest of your life.

I wish you the best as you get a little breathing room and move on to whatever is next for you.

Cate said...

All, you are fantastic and if I could find a way to reach through my PC and hug and kiss all of you, I would!!!

Arthur, thank you! You are proof that we get through these things and learn from them.

CW, I am so glad that you have gone through a similar experience and ended up happier. I keep telling myself that this is a good thing.

ez cheese, you are right. This blog is about Cate and one thing I have learned is that so much complexity in everything we do. In a weird way the affair is linked to my job, my husband, my kids and there is even a little rebellion in there too. So veering off track is inevitable.

Semele, I think I may be selling that lemonade soon to pay my bills! But thankfully I don't have to deal with the boss anymore.

Krazy, thanks for the good vibes - much appreciated!!!! Having a boss that I like and admire would be so enjoyable and inspiring. I really hope that I do get lucky. But even if my next job isn't perfect, I think I have learned that enduring a bad situation is a lot more toxic than I thought. I will not choose convenience over respect ever again.

Mike, thank you and hang in there too! Those one-year-olds will be in school before you know it and as they grow you will find more freedom to do the things you want to do. Had this happened last year, I think I would be freaking out. My son started school in September and the pieces are falling into place much more easily than they would have 12 months ago. Fingers crossed that your job situation improves soon!

Cate xxx

Anonymous said...

Cate - They say that every decision we make and experience we have makes us who we are. You have a wonderful perspective on what you have gone through over the last year and your perspective is fantastic. I know friends that have tried to hang on to bad situations for fear of the unknown and moving forward. You are definitely looking forward with your eyes wide open and ready for what comes next. It will be better and, although it may not feel like it now, you are stronger and smarter for having to work for that ass for so long. The other consolation is the karma factor...you can't be an ass for so long and not have it come back on you.

Mike

Tha

Cate said...

Oops! Got a little confused on the order!

SG, my son handed me a fortune cookie the other day and it said a very similar thing. It's so important to look around - I have had my head down for far too long.

justme, thank you! I am happy too!

Riff, I do feel like this is a much needed kick in the pants and I am hopeful that I will benefit from this. Without the drastic change to my situation, status quo would have continued indefinitely despite the misery. Not a good thing.

B, you have challenged me now. How to write about a cereal packet and make it interesting. This is going to be tough, but I am determined! And thank you for the support and encouragement. We all get stuck in ruts. It's good to break out of them once in a while!

SixDegrees, you could be right! I do feel like I am finally coming into my own after years of doing what everyone else told me to do. So maybe the world is finally right side up?! And thank you for the compliments, always appreciated.

Helen, I will gladly accept the congratulations! I agree whole-heartedly that it isn't possible to leave things at the office. Our jobs are such a significant part of our lives that to not have them affect us is almost impossible.

Mike, I like the karma factor! Although I don't even care what happens to my boss, I am just happy to be free of him. Fear is definitely a big part of why we don't get out of bad situations. But Ben Franklin wisely said "When you're finished changing; you're finished". He's right. Change is good.

Cate xxx

Anonymous said...

I spent over 30 yrs as a Contract Design Engineer eventually I learned to walk away from bosses who were fools and before leaving to tell them so. The surprised look on their faces was delightful !

Word got around on the scene that I didn't suffer fools lightly. The result was that those who wanted me were prepared to pay more and give me a good contract.

So I think your last boss did you a big favour and now you can reassess your values.

Retired Engineer

JW said...

It certainly is an opportunity to bring fundamental change to your life and I hope you find your next step easily.

And it makes a refreshing change to hear someone with a personal redundancy story who's happy about it!

Bon chance! :)

Kyra said...

I'm happy for you. I know it's scary to be without a job. And there will probably be moments you are not upbeat about it. But you've left a bad situation behind and there is only one direction to turn: forward.

Hugs, K

Cate said...

Retired Engineer, thank you so much for the comment. It is very good point. When we trap ourselves in bad situations it often devalues us and keeps us from reaching our potential. I do look at this as a big favour!

Ro, just hoping I can keep the good attitude going!

Kyra, you are so right. It is scary and the fear is starting to set in a little bit but I am remaining positive and focused.

Crossing fingers never hurt either!

Cate xxx